The photo was used to illustrate ambitious growth goals for the company as a hockey stick chart.
The IPO - June 24th 2021
Fast-forward to yesterday, Doximity had a successful IPO at NYSE.
When I saw the hockey stick chart of the stock price (103% upside on the first day), I remembered my start there.
I had some prior experience working remotely as a software developer before joining Doximity. Still, my experience was limited to small companies with no specific plans to build a solid Remote Work culture.
When I joined Doximity, almost 50% of the team was fully remote, and the other 50% worked in the San Francisco office.
Some highlights to me were:
- The leadership, especially the VP of Engineering, believed and pushed for a remote culture from the start. (Thanks, Bruno)
- Wednesday is Work From Home: The whole company worked from home, which stimulated written communication and put the entire team with “skin in the game.”
- Quarterly Offsite: Every quarter, all employees would meet in person to have some meetings and have lots of free time to hang out and improve team bonding.
- Office prepared for remote meetings: The San Francisco office has an open-space layout with lots of rooms for meetings and even some phone booths for calls. The meeting rooms were prepared with high-end cameras and audio equipment, so remote employees could be really present in a group meeting. Sometimes the Remote person had a very noticeable presence because some rooms had giant screens.
- Lofts for remote employees: Some lofts near the office are available for remote employees to stay when visiting san Francisco. Those lofts were the place to meet other peers out of office hours. We could even keep some personal stuff in there, making it easier to plan the travel. We usually planned office visits to match dates with other peers to enjoy weekends exploring the Bay Area up to Lake Tahoe.
My Last Doximity Photo - Early 2019
During my last months, there was an internal competition of taking photos using the company swag when traveling.
When I planned my snowboard trip to Andorra, I brought everything I had. and I waited for a beautiful day to take this photo. My photo was the most voted for the quarter.
In the mountain, people were curious about all the stuff I was carrying, and I got questions like:
- What’s this name tag? are you a rapper?
- Why are you carrying a bag?
Thank you, Doximity! I’m proud of your success! And happy for having had the chance to contribute a bit.